Marketing Director at Lion Beer Australia, Gerard Smith, joins the podcast this week to talk about strategic marketing. We discuss:
- Gerard’s career to date
- Gerard’s long career at Pepsico spanning many brands and geographies
- How marketing created the strong brands of Pepsi and Coca-Cola and the challenges sugar brands face with changing consumer preferences
- Gerard’s role at Lion Beer and the strategic thinking behind the positioning of the beverage brands managed and marketed
- The ‘first 90 days’ when marketing a new brand, in a new environment: assessing the current brand strategy, respecting the brand’s success, identifying pain points and investing in growth
- Art vs Science: Gerard’s thoughts on the ‘scientific’ Byron Sharp side of marketing and why it’s important to balance this in a sector that’s used to produce distinctiveness and ‘art’
- Why there’s no long-term without the short term, and how to find the perfect marketing balance to achieve both goals
- The concept of mental and physical availability
- Why Facebook has gone to TV and print for the storytelling and engagement aspects these mediums provide
- Why Gerard find the debate between traditional and digital advertising irritating as the channel doesn’t matter as long as the campaign achieves desired reach
- Finding unduplicated reach and the power of creativity
An honour to host a guest of Gerard’s experience and calibre. Gerard provides a detailed insight into strategic marketing, reminding us about the importance of ‘art’ in marketing. Definitely well worth a listen!
Gerard can be found on LinkedIn.